Via Warriors Media
Warriors CEO Cameron George today announced halfback Shaun Johnson has requested and been granted a release from the last year of his contract in 2019.
George said the release was effective immediately.
“Yesterday (head coach) Stephen Kearney, (recruitment manager) Peter O’Sullivan and I met with Shaun and his manager Peter Brown,” he said.
“During the meeting Shaun clearly demonstrated to us that he didn’t want to be at the club in 2019.
“On the basis of what Shaun told us, we are not going to compromise our culture on and off the field with people who do not wish to represent our club, members and fans in the way we expect.
“Everything we do is about the club being first and what’s best for our future, our development and ultimately our results.
“While it’s disappointing it has come to this, we must acknowledge the contribution Shaun has made to the Vodafone Warriors. We’re proud of what he has achieved at the club and wish him the best for the future.”
Johnson finishes his Vodafone Warriors career with 917 points from 162 appearances.
Johnson granted immediate release.
— Vodafone Warriors (@NZWarriors) November 27, 2018